Sunday, May 28, 2006

Higher spot in Heaven...


So tonight at work I have gotten quite a few things accomplished. Because it was so slow I had time to do laundry, read two more chapters in my study book, and even a few chapters another book I'm reading. It was early evening when a family came down to the lobby and started watching TV. Yes, they turned off the Cubs game during the extra innings to watch Disney channel. Although I was not the only one upset (the father was pretty annoyed as well) we started watching a few Disney shows. For those of you who don't know me, I'm not really into that type of thing. Girlie movies, kid shows, and other such "baby" things I only do when I'm in the presense of extremely loved kids. Thats besides the point. As I was standing there spacing out to the television this little old lady that was with the family asked me for a glass for her beer. Since I wasn't doing anything at the time I of course said "certainly" and went on my way.

When I handed that sweet old lady the glass she said, "Oh thank you dear, You've just earned a higher spot in Heaven." What a weird remark. First thing that went threw my head was if my chuckle after her remark seemed awkward at all. Second was that who was she really to tell me where I would be in Heaven...and just for getting her a glass for her beer? It wasn't anything extraordinary. I was bored and so I did it with a smile on my face. Now maybe it's just me but I have never heard anyone say that before. The third thing I was thinking of after this situation was I thought Heaven was of one rank? At least my Heaven is.

It got me thinking of the different things I do. I try to be a good Christian and not swear, or not judge others and to me those are the things that God is looking at. But this little old lady (who turned 82 last THursday as she told me) made me think. The little things matter just as much as the big ones. Granted they won't put me at the penthouse suite (kinda ironic that I work at a hotel) of Heaven, but the little things make the big things easier I suppose.

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. A day of cookouts, sun, family and friends. I pray that you and yours have an amazing day!!!!

POG to you in all that you do!! (even the little things)

No comments: