Saturday, September 30, 2006

Crime and Society

At the beginning of the semester I was signed up for a Computer Data Class. I was not only the ONLY female in the room but my friend looked at me, laughed, and said "What are YOU doing in here" on the first day. So because Bradley University has a stupid rule that you have to have a certain amount of university hours to graduate, I decided to take a class called "Crime and Society". Yes, this is the class that I have only sat through the entirety a handfull of times. Thursday, I made it almost an hour before leaving!

I had every intention of actually staying the whole time, and the only reason I stayed that long was because the instructor was talking about something that I had a hard time dealing with. I even raised my hand and participated in class (in a lecture hall for that matter....50-75 people!!) The class consists of him talking in monotone for 1 hour and 15 minutes two times a week, a midterm and a final of 2 essays each. We were discussing the questions for the midterm on Thursday and I believe I am a COM major for a reason.

Dr Zantz (I think that's his name) was explaining that each essay we were to just explain how we understand the answer to be. In lamens terms, or what I understand it to be, its how society shapes our views. We know things because we've been taught and things happen because thats how they have always been. So I decided to ask if we'd be penalized for putting our views into the essay. I disagreed with the explanation of the world being this horrible JUST BECAUSE. After I clarified my disagreement with the teacher for religious reasons he preceded to tell me.. "Most of the times people are so scared to think outside of their own box because they don't want to see a subject from a different view. They are scared that they might like the view, risk their morals and change their opinion." Oh HECK NO! I was being told that I was scared to see things from a sociological perspective because I was so insecure in my faith that I was afraid I'd change my view. I decided to leave class after that.

So there is my justification for never going to this class... ;)


My reason to smile: I filled my tank with gas and it ONLY cost me $43.00!!!!!

1 comment:

swishthedish said...

you should've punctuated your remarks by slamming the door on the way out