Monday, June 26, 2006

The loss of a great man.


A veteran, an athlete, a husband, a worker, a volunteer, a youth leader, an excutive on different boards, a loving grandfather......

Derald M. Schultz, or as I liked to call him "Gramps", passed away last Sunday from a battle with cancer. Words can't explain the feelings when I found out the news. He was diagnosed with cancer last November and has had a downhill battle ever since. God brought him home and took his pain. It was a relief. He was burried with military honors.

The hardest part of the whole funeral was watching my loving grandma lose the love of her life. They had been together over half a century. It was such an inspiration thinking of the situation at a whole. Both of my grandparents loved each other deeply and always practiced their faith. I know that it is out there now and I do not want to settle.

My grandpa was such an amazing man. I just knew him as my gramps, but the Tribune and Herald knew differently. Most obituaries are the final writings of a person but not for Gramps. In addition to a regular obit in each paper, an article was written in both the Chicago Tribune and the Daily Herald. Now that HAS to say something! In the rest of my years I hope to gain half of the respect and accomplishments that my grandfather had.

My sisters and I have been very fortunate in being at our age and not having to deal with a death of a grandparent. I know my life will be changed.

http://www.legacy.com/DailyHerald/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=18188753

POG to you! ;o)

No comments: