Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Simplicity

Contrary to popular belief, I would classify myself as a hopeless romantic. I enjoy movies that have great endings and I enjoy situations that have a great ending to the story. There are even a few situations in which I have chosen to do something that I know may not be the best for me but I did it anyway for the story.

One of my favorite things to do is to spend time getting to know what makes people tick. Lately I've had the opportunity to talk with a new friend and a theme has come up in multiple conversations of ours. This friend tries to live his daily life with simplicity. Living on as little as he can and giving as much as he can. This has caused some deep internal conversations on what that would look like in my life, but as I have finished the holiday season I am taking a different approach to this simplicity idea. I have made a conscious effort to live on what I have and try to dispel the idea that I need to go out and get something to appease my desires.

Since I enjoy big drastic stories, I also feel encouraged, loved or even more assured when drastic things happen. Maybe its the security that you can get through tough situations and can be rewarded after the storm of life is over. When simple things happen I don't feel the same way I do as when drastic events occur. Here's an example. I got my grandmother a butterfly wall hanging and a picture frame for Christmas. She didn't ask for it, but I know she loves butterflies. As soon as she opened the gift she said, "Oh this is great, very thoughtful." If I were to open something I didn't necessarily need I'd honestly think, "Oh great, something else I have to find a place for in my apartment."

As harsh as that sounds, it felt as harsh actually typing that out. I want to be grateful of the simple things in life. Simple conversations, simple cards, simple expressions of a genuine love. I don't know how to make that paradigm shift or what that means but all I can say is, "Hello simplicity, I'm going to try to be around for a while."

No comments: