Monday, January 04, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis

I have this friend named Katie. Katie and I met on Move-In day at Bradley. Over the past 7 years we have become very close friends. It was our sophomore year of college and Katie, myself, and 4 other girls all lived in one room in the sorority house. That year was a tough year for our friendship because Katie, unlike myself, was very neurotic about everything. Any item had it's place and clothes were NOT to be left on the floor. Well I on the other hand flew by the seat of my pants, working two jobs and going to school so the last thing on my mind was cleaning things up. I will have to say though that I think Katie and I would make great roommates now. Anyways.

Katie turned 25 back in October and about a month prior she started freaking out. Not psycho freaking but more of a panic, anxiety type of freak. I thought it was just spastic Kate but as I approach my 25th birthday I am starting to have those same feelings.

Around the time when Katie and I met I had a plan for my life. I was going to get married at a young age, spend some quality alone time with my love, start a family in my mid-twenties and have a kick-ass job. Well as I begin the final haul to my 25th birthday: I am single as they come, my idea of quality time is a book, a blanket and some hot tea at 8:30pm with a 9:00pm bedtime, no kiddos and my job leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not going to lie, I did have a minor panic attack when I came to this dreadful realization. But as to any situation there is always a flip side.

I do not believe any of the guys I have dated have been marriage worthy- let alone father material. Words can hardly describe the amount of personal and professional growth I have obtained in these 25 years as I have learned about myself and my relationship with God. I know that I would not have been able to experience what I have in the past few years if my plan had worked out as I hoped. After all in Jeremiah 29:11, God says "Therefor I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I am sure His plan is better then mine. And besides, Katie just called to invite me over for dinner tomorrow that she's going to prepare in her new slow-cooker that she got for Christmas. If she can get over the hump, I'm sure I can too. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

my 25th birthday was a good time for this same evaluation of where i was compared to where i had planned to be...so was my 30th, haha!
and with both "milestone" birthdays, i came to the same conclusion...wow i didn't have a clue what i was saying when i set that goal and THANK YOU God that you are in charge of my life and not me. we have no idea what God has in store for us, and i love that. all we do know is that he does have a plan, it's what's best for us and it will be an amazing journey getting there.
enjoy the ride Les!
--Beth Bernard