Monday, January 25, 2010

Our Giants

This past week I had the opportunity to hear 3 amazing speakers at a conference who had three very different yet similar. The first was a man who has suffered with MS since he was 12. He discussed David and Goliath and how facing our giants with faith is what is most important in life. The second speaker was a Navy Seal named Marcus Luttrell who was the lone survivor of a mission in Afghanistan. His story of perseverance and strength blow my mind. If I were to go through less then half of what he did I would have probably given up on life. The 3rd speaker was a paraplegic 4 time Olympian medalist who was tragically shot as a boy which caused him to lose all use of his legs. I don't know about you, but even with the small amount of detail I just gave I still feel like my life is a cakewalk. On the train home I got to thinking...

The speaker that had MS said, "We all have our giants, the only difference between mine and yours is that you can see mine." How totally true. That message resinated with me and I had the blessing to share the message at the homeless breakfast this Sunday. It's total true. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. One of their giants is the fact they do not have warm shelter. But one of my giants is the fact that I'm selfish and could barely roll out of bed to be there that morning.

If we all take a minute to think about the various things that we struggle with, our imperfections if you will, our eyes would be open to our ugliness. It's easy to point out everyone else's faults, but when it comes to our own they aren't half as bad as other's.

I pray that my giants are revealed and that people may see my imperfections because only when they are exposed can they ever be healed.

No comments: