Monday, November 30, 2009

Power of Prayer

I'm in the middle of reading this book that was recommended to me and it has gotten me to start thinking about prayer and the role it has on our lives. As a Christian it is expected that you pray, in order to get closer to God, to have conversation with Him daily. In other religions prayer has more structure and it's more of a ritual then a tool for communication. I have had answered prayers in the past so I do know there is power in praying. More often then not I believe in praying for other people more then praying for myself.

We are told to pray to Him with all your wants and expect them to happen. In the Bible it says to come to him, "Ask, Seek, Knock" "You will be delivered all the desires of your heart" etc. But almost in the same breath we are told to not look at God as a Genie that will deliver any gift but as someone who will always be there with you through the tough times.

If God is always there, and God has a plan for all of our lives and God knows the deepest desires of our heart, what does prayer do? Remind us of what we are wanting that we may or may not have? Test our faith? State the obvious to the person who already knows? If we didn't pray during/for/about situations would the same outcome occur?

No comments: