Sunday, November 22, 2009

3 year olds

I decided to pick up my neice and nephews this weekend for a sleepover. They've never spent the night with me at my apartment, so I thought it'd be fun. One thing I realized over the weekend is that that I am not prepared to be a single caretaker of 3 at the age of 24. There's another realization that I came up with, but not until tonight.

My 3 year old nephew Ethan is at the stage of asking "Why?" after EVERYTHING. Even if it doesn't even make sense, he asks. Me: Ethan, put your clothes back on. Ethan: Why. Me: Because you can't run around naked. It was cute on occasion but by the time I took him back if I heard that simple question one more time I was going to freak.

Tonight as I sit here to mentally prepare for the week ahead and recap the past week I find myself asking the same question. The embarrassing part is I am that 3 year old. I would imagine the question started at a very young age and twenty some odd years it still remains unanswered. Why do things happen? Why don't they happen?

I can't wait to find out one day so I can finally stop asking.

No comments: