Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Christian Competition

I've been talking to a lot of my friends about what Imago Dei is doing during Lent. Partially because I feel the need to explain at times why my language is more 'pure' than it usually is. The other day I met up with some friends that I haven't seen in a while and I was explaining what Imago was doing, thinking they'd understand since they are fellow believers.

Immediately my friend seemed to get defensive claiming he enjoyed the fact that his church never participates in traditions that were created by man, ie: lent. Whether it was his intention or not but he spurred me to get defensive of my faith. I felt after I had just gone through some things I was learning through our process and he immediately began talking about how his church just continues with messages and doesn't touch on subjects that aren't Biblically created.

Why is it that we get competitive when it comes to church vs church? Isn't the body of Christ supposed to be one no matter where you worship? I know Imago isn't a perfect church, sorry if I offend any readers, but for the past few years it's been there to grow me as a person just as I've needed. Isn't that what a church is supposed to do? Not spur differences among believers just because you worship at different locations.

1 comment:

charlesdean2 said...

1. I know the leadership of your church pretty well -- it's far from perfect. Trust me in this.

2. I've grown SO weary of these kinds of conversations. It why I rarely blog about our church. The sarcastic part of me wants to respond to people with, "yeah, your church is better than ours. congratulations. praise God. he must like you better." (said EXTREMELY sarcastically, of course). Instead, I've been trying to affirm their differences - build them up, get excited about what their expression of the body of Christ looks like - even if my competitive human nature wants to argue about who's best. Grace & Peace. Grace & Peace.