Monday, February 15, 2010

Lent

For the past few weeks I have tossed around quite a few ideas of what I should give up for lent this year. No, I'm not Catholic, I think it's a great practice of sacrifice as we gear up for the true meaning of Easter. Last year I gave up sweets which I never really thought controlled me, but now to this day I no longer crave sweets. I want the same type of lifestyle impact this year. I thought of becoming a vegetarian for 40 days and as much as I admire my friends who do it, I can not imagine giving up meat completely, maybe next year. It wasn't until Sunday that I landed on my vice that I will condition myself to live without. Starting with 40 days but this vice I could probably do better without for a lifetime.

My friends joke around that I have a mouth of a sailor. I always have the funny "borderline appropriate" jokes and sometimes when I tell stories I may throw a swear word in for emphasis. I never thought anything was wrong with it because I know when to control it and my heart loves the Lord so why stop? The past few weeks I've notice my impact on a few of my close friends' lives. I've noticed one of them swearing more in conversation and she never really used to swear. The icing to the cake was a friend of mine making an inappropriate joke and as we were all laughing she said "Geez, I've been hanging around you too much." Even though she was joking that is what solidified my vice.

I will make a conscious effort to avoid inappropriate conversation and sacrifice a good joke to support my pure language. I know it won't be completely unavoidable due to some of my surroundings, but at that time of awkwardness for me I will be deep in prayer. I am counting on God to give me the feeling of "right and wrong" during this time because I know that will be a difficult filter to all of a sudden add to my life.

My meditation for this Lenten season is Luke 6:45
"Good people bring good things out of the good stored up in their heart, and evil people bring evil things out of the evil stored up in their heart. For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."

1 comment:

Beth Bernard said...

i am right there with you Leslie. i hear terrible language and inappropriate jokes all the time at work and from my extended family...it's a easy habit to pick up and a hard one to drop.
this is one of the things i am giving up for Lent as well. We should encourage each other during this time.