Monday, April 02, 2007

My waving neighbors

I know, two posts in one day...

Maybe it's my age, or just my neighborhood but something about it makes me feel cozy. Moving from Bradley's campus to a neighboorhood outskirts of North Peoria has definately been a culture shock.

I can remember sitting on my porch on Fredonia last summer enjoying the beautiful weather and witnessing a drug exchange. Some of you may be asking, "how do you know it was a drug sale?" I'm telling you I saw the driver get out of one car, go into the other, turn on the dome lights to check out the goods all while the girl in the original car was emptying the tobacco out of a cigar in preparation. Drug deal, no doubt about it.

Now that the weather is nice, I drive and in my new neighborhood watch all my neighbors take care of their lawn, have a few beers while sitting on their tailgate chatting it up with other residents. The difference is I drive and it hasn't been one nice day that goes by that my neighbors don't WAVE as I drive by. I'm talking everytime I drive by, even my 5 year old girls that live two houses down, I get waves.

It really makes me feel safe. I mean how could a neighborhood be threatening if it's residents are THAT friendly?

1 comment:

JGanschow said...

as long as they're not waving to alert you to the axe-weilding maniac in your back seat.