Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A few years ago I was in the market for a new car. During my search I test drove quite a few different cars, and it was like clockwork that for days after I drove the car I would see that same type driving all over town. Since I've been in my accident I have had been told of at least 6 additional motorcycle accidents.

My dad has been calling me every day since my accident, if he's not there with me. Last night he was on call (he's an EMT) and his chief came to talk to him about his friend. About a week after my accident, my dad's friend was riding through town on his motorcycle (without a helmet) and a kid crossed the center line and took him out. Immediately after this guy was talking with the emergency crew and holding conversations. It was when he was at the hospital that his brain started swelling and he now has a 20% chance of living.

My friends and I joke around because I have no verbal filter and very little emotional feeling while on my medication. But as my dad was telling me this story, I actually felt heartbreak. Tears came down my face and it made me realize, "That should have been me." There is no logical reason why Jason and I are able to live the way we do now after the type of accident we had. We fought for our lives on the scene and in the hospital during our stays, but now we are in the middle of recovery. It is crazy to think that a man who was in a very similar accident now is looking at death, just a few weeks after his accident.

I want to live a life to reflect this gratitude. And I will pray for every family that ever has to be put in a situation like ours.

No comments: