Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Friendlationships

I bought a book a few years back with the ridiculous title of "Friendlationships". The sub title said "From like, to like like, to love in your twenties." What a stupid book. As if you need a book to understand what goes on in your heart and mind.

I picked it up a few months ago to leaf through and to be honest it intrigued me so I read it. One of the things that I can't seem to understand is how to have a boy girl FRIENDSHIP without feeling like it has to progress into a RELATIONSHIP.

Now I have admittedly been on both sides of this awful scenario. I have been the friend that wants more and gets rejected and I've been the one that wants nothing but friendship. So I understand the polar opposites of the spectrum. But what's hard to digest is the certainty that at one point or another one of the friends will start developing feelings.

God created man and woman to cohabitate so we would not be alone. God told us to love others unconditionally. But where do we as humans draw the line dividing friendship and emotions? How do we prevent romantic feelings from arising in a relationship where it's clearly not wanted?

I don't have the answers, becuase if I did I wouldn't continue to put myself in these situations. But one thing I know is you can prevent awkward conversations by always being up front and honest. I'd rather be told and tell someone a relationship is not going to progress then to live with the unknown possibility.

So...words of wisdom..if you're just not into someone and you know they are into you, tell them gently. Save them embarrassment.

No comments: