Sunday, August 23, 2009

Embrace the Silence

I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of awkward silences. Almost every day I meet with new people to interview them, and they tell us to "let there be silence". But in all honesty to avoid these situations I am always prepared with another question to either probe deeper in their answer or to completely switch the topic. I've found that in life the times when we allow so much noise to fill our silence we don't really give ourselves a chance to hear God.

Encouraged by the series at church, I wanted to find where Imago Dei (the image of God) leaks out into our world. But to be honest I never allow myself a chance to hear it. Last Tuesday I needed to find a way to get near God again, I needed to feel the Imago Dei in SOMETHING.

I borrowed a friend's bike and decided to go on the Rock Island trail by my place. It was first awkward having the accurate strength to balance the handlebars. I mean I haven't been on a bike in like 10 years. As soon as I got on the trail and found the accurate speeds I just let loose. I had no one with me to talk to and the trail was pretty empty that day. I found God again. I know He was technically never lost but I just felt His presence as I was enjoying the scenery.

I had plenty of opportunity to go riding again a few days later but I felt it would be better for me to rest, if you catch my drift. I got to embrace the silence once again. I layed by the pool, started reading a book and just layed there. It wasn't until 6:45pm that I left my house for the first time that day. My roomate was gone, I read, I ate, I napped, I prayed, and it's been the closest I've felt to God in a long time.

Life happens. We let things slip in the way and cause even noise for us to miss the true importance of life. I encourage anyone to take time this week, even if it's just for 30 minutes to turn off your cell phones, leave the TV off, and embrace the silence. You'd be amazed the work God can do in those few moments.

No comments: