Monday, December 07, 2009

Advent Conspiracy

A theme around our church lately has been about Advent Conspiracy. Combating consumerism around the holidays and doing more with our giving. We are deciding to read the book as a small group and since it was a quick read I decided to give the entire thing a go before our gathering on Wednesday.

My thoughts:
1. My first impression that ended up lasting throughout the 7 chapters was that it was a call to join a mission that has been set out by a group of pastors. In my opinion I'd say it was similar to an altar call. I am not discounting their mission by any means it's just what it felt as I was reading it. Informational pamphlet.
2. I got some really good ideas after reading of how I can give gifts relationally without feeling guilty about spending money.
3. My eyes were opened up to face the truth that I am ass backwards. Around the holidays my consumerism is not as evident as the other 11 months of the year. I think particularly because it's always so awkward to tell people what you want them to buy you. If there's something I want, I save up and buy it. If anything I think I purposely avoid going shopping for myself or others during that month. (The crazies come out.)

All in all, some good thoughts. I can't imagine myself making any drastic changes around Christmas spending just because there aren't really any I can take away? BUT a good reminder for the rest of the year that there are projects that could use funding instead of my habits or desires.

No comments: